How to install Joomla on a hosting – step by step instructions
At the beginning of the site building process, you need to decide on its subject, with the appropriate domain name, and, of course, with the choice of a suitable hosting. It is worth to approach the last aspect especially responsibly.
At the moment there are a huge number of companies, including unscrupulous, providing services for placing sites on web servers. It is necessary to show care and caution, read the reviews on the work of a particular hosting, to consult with experts.
Consider the benefits:
- Perhaps the only advantage is the lack of payment for services.
Here are the main disadvantages:
- Scanty disk space;
- Weak server resources, as a result, with a large attendance site will ” fall “;
- Most often, the lack of adequate technical support from the hosting provider.
As a rule, free hosting is used for the smallest projects that do not need promotion and a large number of visitors. In other cases, it is not recommended to use this type of service.
What is good paid hosting?
- Large selection of quality companies;
- Disk space extensibility;
- Impressive server resources, which can also be expanded at will, for an additional fee, of course;
- With the right choice of provider, availability of round-the-clock support for any issue.
The disadvantage is the availability of regular payment, but, as they say, free cheese is only in a mousetrap. If you seriously decide to do site building, then the choice should fall on a good paid hosting.
Important to know : For especially large projects, virtual (VPS / VDS) or dedicated servers are used, the resources of which are limited, in fact, only by the thickness of your wallet.
What hosting to choose for a site running Joomla?
Some providers offering free hosting for Joomla:
- hostinger.com.ua ;
In any case, we recommend using paid hosting for Joomla. The following are some well-known and proven providers:
- Beget.ru ;
- Sweb.ru ;
- Provisov.net ;
- Hc.ru .
Choosing a tariff plan for hosting services is determined by the goal that you set yourself when creating a site.
Let’s say it is planned to build a huge entertainment portal and unleash it to impressive attendance. In this case, you will need to rent a whole dedicated server (or the most expensive hosting tariff) that would provide power, stability and a large amount of available disk space.
Another situation. We need a blog on which you will pour out your thoughts into the network, share usefulness with readers. An average hosting with standard resources will suffice for this kind of site.
Now, when you have thought and chose for yourself a suitable hosting option, let’s figure out directly how to install Joomla on a hosting.
- First of all, you need to download the distribution from the official website ( http://www.joomla.org/download.html ) and unpack the archive .;
- When you already have everything you need (paid domain and hosting), we upload the previously downloaded and unpacked distribution package to the folder of your site (usually the public_html / www folder ) of the site using an FTP client (we recommend FileZilla ). The necessary data to connect to the server you will learn when you buy a hosting (server IP, username and password);
- After successfully uploading files to the server, we will create a MySQL database with which Joomla works. The creation is done in PhpMyAdmin – a web interface that provides the ability to create and manage MySQL databases. To open the application, you need to go to your hosting control panel and find a link to go to PhpMyAdmin there . To enter the application, you need to log in (usually, login and password are similar to those under which you enter the hosting control panel). After authorization, create a new database (DB), as shown in the screenshot below (enter the name and click ” Create “);
- Next you need to install CMS Joomla. To do this, go to the address of your site (enter the domain in the address bar of the browser). The installation window should open. Installing CMS Joomla version 3.0 consists of three consecutive steps. Everything has become much easier compared to previous versions of this engine. The installation language is determined automatically, depending on localization;
- Fill in the first tab (Site Configuration): enter all the necessary data – “ Site Name ”, “ Description ”, “ Mail ”, “ Login and password of the main site administrator ”. Press the “ Next ” button ;
- Fill in the second tab (Database Configuration): Enter the ” Username “, ” Password ” and ” Database Name ” (which you created earlier). Click ” Next “;
- In the last tab you have the opportunity to install “Demo data” and get acquainted with the server configurations. Click the ” Install ” button . It will go through the installation process, after which you will be able to install additional language packs, go to the Admin Center, or view the home page of the site.
Important: click on the “ Delete the instalation directory ” button to avoid spontaneous reinstalling the script!
Congratulations, the installation of Joomla 3 on hosting has been successfully completed! To summarize: The installation process is not complicated, takes a little time and is understandable even to a beginner.